- What or Who is Katy Cares
Katy Cares is a 501(c)(3) Nonprofit organization that was founded as a solution-driven trauma-informed response to address the needs of situationally homeless mothers and their children within the Katy ISC Boundaries. This includes Harris, Fort Bend and Waller Counties.
There are no shelters or transitional homes serving the very vulnerable population of single mothers. The Katy Cares home is the first of its kind in the Greater Katy West Houston area, offering opportunities for single mothers to participate in our scholarship program.
- Who does Katy Cares serve?
In response to the critical and specialized nature of the growing statistics of Katy ISD with approximately 900+ homeless children, and the lack of any type of facilities in the Greater Katy West Houston area to serve this vulnerable population, Katy Cares launched the plan in November of 2016 to provide a long-term a specialized, trauma-informed, transitional housing model offering programs focused on preventing chronic homelessness and addressing the root cause of situational homelessness.
Every aspect of the Katy Cares therapeutic program is focused on providing opportunities for educational advancement that equip our single mothers to excel in personal growth, educational accomplishment, professional partnerships and community engagement.
- Why did Katy Cares start serving these women in the community & why it is important?
Katy Cares is a young organization, but this has not impeded our bravery to challenge and address the ever-expanding issue of situational homelessness found in our beloved community.
- There were 973 homeless students in Katy ISD according to Katy ISD official statistics report.
- There are over 50 shelters and homes in the Houston and surrounding areas. However, Katy Cares is the only one currently serving our community.
- 150+ children from Katy were bused in with Katy ISD’s privately contracted bus company from shelters and homes outside of the Katy area.
- 80% of families experiencing homelessness are single mother led families.
These statistics drive Katy Cares’ mission to provide specialized therapeutic-housing services to mothers and their children affected by situational homelessness.
- How can the community help?
To make this dream possible for many mothers and children, Katy Cares is hosting our 3rd Annual Gala, “Magical Masquerade”, Saturday, September 28, 2019, 6:00pm – 11:00pm, at the Embassy Suites West Houston-Katy, 16435 Katy Freeway, Houston, TX 77094. Please join us for an exciting evening of entertainment, dinner and auctions. Come celebrate the progress we have made in the last year and share our vision of hope for 2020 – building a sustainable future for the families residing at the Rachel Ballard House.
Denise L. Mayfield
Katy Cares, Inc.
6725 South Fry Road